The Nineteenth Century Studies Association Scheuerle-Zatlin International Travel Award was created in 2011 in order to increase the participation of international scholars who are often hampered from attending conferences in North America because of the cost of travel. This prize represents NCSA’s commitment to an international scholarly exchange of ideas and the benefits to research that come from an international perspective. The first two awards were funded by generous personal gifts from founding members, William Scheuerle (2012) and Linda Zatlin (2013). Subsequent awards will be funded by the Association’s endowment. The Scheuerle-Zatlin International Travel Award of $500 is offered to support the presentation of a paper [sole-] authored by an international scholar and accepted for a session at the 2019 annual meeting of the society. The following eligibility criteria apply:
1) the paper proposal has been accepted, and the paper will be presented by the author at the conference
2) the paper is authored by the international scholar presenting and is not co-authored
3) the paper is unpublished and has not been presented at another conference
4) the international scholar is traveling from outside North America in order to attend the conference
5) the international scholar registers for the conference and participates fully in its activities
6) the travel award decision is based on review of the completed paper, not an abstract
International Scholars agree that they will not submit a proposal to participate in the conference pending receipt of a grant. There may be several international scholars competing for limited travel support [one grant per year is anticipated]. Authors of all proposals, at the time the proposal is submitted, agree to attend and present the paper if the proposal is accepted, regardless of whether or not a travel award is later made. International scholars with accepted proposals who are interested in applying for a travel award should submit their completed paper to the conference program chair (email@example.com) by December 1st. Final decision regarding the travel award will be made by the conference committee and announced December 15th. The award check will be presented at the conference, and the travel award recipient will be recognized at the Business Meeting and in conference literature.
To apply for the Scheuerle-Zatlin International Travel Award, please fill out the Travel Grant Cover Sheet and email it (with your completed conference paper) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application Deadline: December 1.
Conference presenters may only apply for one conference travel award in a given year.